Monday, July 1, 2013

The tipping point

Bali. February 2013. When I look back several years hence, that will be where it all started.

For several months, I've had an urge to take a break from work, from the daily routine, from the technology overload, from the constant de-prioritization of things I want to do most, and to do all those things that have been sitting impatiently in my bucket list. I've talked about it fleetingly with Shamin, usually after I've read an inspiring blog post by someone who had the courage to do it. But that c-word took a long time finding my doorstep.

I'm not that old really *snigger snigger*. I've had a good work life too, with a culture that few enjoy, and the myriad interactions with people across four different cities have fueled my passion and kept me going. But the ten years I'm going to complete with my employer this July seemed like an eternity, and the routine finally took its toll. 

Circa Bali. The tipping point. My employer was observing a week-long, mandatory Chinese New Year break, and my wife was travelling to India for a good friend's wedding, so I took the opportunity to spend some quality time in Bali...doing nothing. A close friend was in a similar situation, minus the wife bit as he was single, and decided to join me on the trip. We decided to experience the backpackers life, and booked dorm beds in a hostel at Sanur. The trip turned out to be very eventful - we made good friends at the hostel, learned new drinking games, took night outs on the town, zipped around Bali on bikes, and even took a beginners course in surfing. That last experience in particular was mind-blowing, and deserves a dedicated post, so I'll skip any details here. During all the late-night dinner table discussions and debates, one thing became painfully clear - we were the two oldest people at the hostel! And then it hit me - the best time to take a break from the monotony and truly experience life was actually gone. All I was left with were meetings to attend, Facebook posts to like, a social ladder to climb, and weekend holidays which I hopelessly hoped would never end. 

Many years ago, I'd come across a saying that had caught my attention "When you're on your deathbed, and look back at your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did". That statement rang loud in my ears, and I had to make a decision. There are times when you look before you jump, and then there are times when you take a leap of faith. I just jumped, and I know I won't ever regret it. 

4 comments:

  1. your trip inspires me ... surely :) .. time for breaking bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. thanks Vish! We've only just begun, and I already don't want it to end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb Mandar...I feel like I ve been through similar thoughts every now and then...but the C-word is taking infinity time

    ReplyDelete