Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Shakespeare and company


My best find in Paris would have to be this cute bookstore aptly titled "Shakespeare and company". Bookstores fascinate me most times, but this one in particular delighted me. Books I had never seen before on display, books in not only in French but also in English were a huge draw. But it wasn't just about the books, it was the warmth you felt inside, the excitement of titles and authors, the way the bookstore looked, the sayings outside, the really old lady browsing so engrossed, the way the books were arranged, it felt so welcoming. I picked up an Ernest Hemingway book on his life in Paris, the bookstore was part of the cover, and Hemingway mentions this bookstore in one of his chapters which I got to know only now, that I'm reading the book. The book is called "Paris est une fete", in French, and its English title is "A moveable feast". Few days in Paris and I can understand why Hemingway would have called Paris a moveable feast - the city is a celebration, full of life in the form of art, music, food, wine, books, language, and love and it stayed with him wherever he went in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment