Friday, February 19, 2010

Love the laksa

I was told by a friend to definitely try the laksa. And I did, not just the Malaysian curry one but the Thai laksa as well as the Penang (asam) laska as well. Laksa is a noodle soup from the Nyonya (also called Baba Peranakan) culture, which is a merger of Chinese and Malay. The curry laska or simply referred to as laksa which I tried at Rasa Mas at KL Sentral station had coconut as its base with ingredients like meatballs, chicken, tofu puffs, boiled egg and thick-white noodles.
Fascinated by the laksa, I tried the Thai version of the laska at Bangkok Jam on our second visit to Bukit Bintang, our favourite hang-out area in KL. The thai laksa came neatly decorated on a ceramic plate with the curry in a bowl, white thin noodles, various leaves, cucumber pieces, dried red chillies, carrot and onion salad and bean sprouts. The attendant suggested to mix it all in the plate. It was one of the tastiest meals I've eaten and such a mouthful.

Having tried the coconut-based laksas, I was keen to try the asam laksa whose base is tamarind and fish. Towards the end of our stay in Malaysia, I finally got to try this at Warongkita, again at the KL central. The asam or Penang laska as it is called came with shredded fish, boiled egg, cucumber, onions, red chillis, pineapple, lettuce, common mint, "daun kesum" (Vietnamese mint or laksa mint) and pink bunga kantan (ginger buds). The noodles were really thick and transparent white. Of all my Malaysian food adventures, laksa stands out as my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment